Study Permits


500 CAD $ 



What is a study permit?

A study permit is a written authorization issued by an officer allowing foreign nationals to study in Canada.Important information: A study permit becomes invalid 90 days after your study program has been completed. Your program is considered complete when you receive a notification of program completion from your school.

Who needs a study permit?

Generally, foreign nationals must obtain a study permit in order to study in Canada.However, foreign nationals may be exempted from requiring a study permit in the following situations:

Family members or private staff accompanying a foreign representative accredited by Global Affairs Canada; or

Members of the armed forces of a country designated for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act.

Are there activities for which a study permit is not required?

Yes, there are activities that do not require a study permit. Generally, a study permit is not required for:

attending preschool;

completing a distance learning program;

following audit courses (where a student is permitted to attend an academic course without obtaining credits);

taking courses included in tour packages as a secondary activity for tourists;

taking a course which is not academic, professional or vocational in nature that is of general interest and can be completed within the period authorized upon entry to Canada;

taking a course or a program of study which is six months or less that can be completed within the period authorized upon entry into Canada.

Important information: If your program of study is six months or less, but you intend to continue your studies in another program, you should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. This allows you to apply to extend your stay as a student from within Canada. Otherwise, you will have to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada.

How do I apply for a study permit?

Before applying for a study permit at a Canadian visa office, you must first get a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

The letter must be issued by the Canadian institution (e.g. school district, University, etc.) on official letterhead, show the exact amount of tuition fees you are required to pay, the anticipated starting and finishing dates and the date by which you need to register.

Once you have your acceptance letter, you can complete and submit an application for a study permit.